TRAFFIC PENALTIES - LICENSE - POINTS - FINES
The BMV will suspend your license if you have 12 or more points. Points are received when you are convicted of a moving violation. One violation can be either 2, 4, or 6 points. If you have been charged with a traffic violation, you are also facing Ohio’s misdemeanor penalties.
If you have 2 points but less than 12 on your driver’s license, you may take a remedial class that will prevent your license from being suspended until you have reached 14 points.
Many insurance companies will drastically increase your insurance premiums as points are added to your license. In the insurance company’s eyes, points are seen as an increased risk of accident and liability.
Contact a Traffic Ticket Lawyer to prevent points on your license.
Ohio’s License Point System is divided into three categories:
2 Point Violations:
- Exceeding a speed limit of 55mph or higher by more than 10mph but less than 30mph;
- Exceeding a speed limit of less than 55mph by more than 5mph but less than 30mph;
- Operating a vehicle in violation of a restriction imposed by the Registrar; and
- All other moving violations including operating a vehicle without a license.
4 Point Violations:
- Operation of a vehicle after underage consumption
- Operation of a vehicle in willful or wanton disregard of safety of persons or property (Reckless Operation)
- Exceeding the speed limit by more than 30mph
6 Point Violations:
- Aggravated vehicular homicide, vehicular homicide, vehicular manslaughter
- Aggravated vehicular assault, vehicular assault
- Willful fleeing and eluding, failure to stop and disclose identity at an accident
- Street racing (Drag racing)
- Driving under suspension (DUS)
- Operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol, drug of abuse, or both (DUI/OVI)
- Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle
- Any felony motor vehicle violation or any felony committed with a motor vehicle
Main Law Office:
Stiefvater Law, LLC
8748 Brecksville Rd., Ste 216
Brecksville, Ohio 44141
Robert can be reached at
Stiefvater Law, LLC
6100 Oak Tree Blvd., Ste 200
Independence, Ohio 44131
This website is maintained for informational purposes only. Please see the disclaimer.
Stiefvater Law, LLC has had the privilege to defend countless individuals. Founding Attorney Robert Stiefvater practices throughout Ohio- Federal; including but not limited to the following jurisdictions- County: Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Erie, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, Stark, and Summit- the following Municipal: Bedford, Berea, Cleveland, Cleveland Heights, Euclid, Garfield Heights, Lakewood, Lyndhurst, Parma, Rocky River, Shaker Heights, Sandusky, Vermillion, Chardon, Mentor, Painesville, Willoughby, Avon Lake, Elyria, Lorain, Oberlin, Medina, Wadsworth, Canton, Massillon, Akron, and Stow- and the following Mayor’s Beachwood, Boston Heights, Broadview Heights, Brook Park, Brooklyn, Chagrin Falls, Independence, Middleburg Heights, Newburgh Heights, North Royalton, Seven Hills, Strongsville, Avon, North Ridgeville, Brunswick, Boston Heights, Cuyahoga Falls, Fairlawn, Macedonia, and Northfield.
If you have been charged with a crime or a DUI - OVI, and need an OVI lawyer or local criminal defense attorney:
Trust Attorney Stiefvater to defend you against any of the following criminal charges:
Aiding & Abetting, Accessory, Arson, Assault, Attempt, Battery, Bribery, Burglary, Child Abandonment, Child Abuse, Child Endangering, Child Pornography, Computer Crime, Conspiracy, Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor, Credit Card Fraud, Contempt of Court, Cyber Bullying, Debit Card Fraud, Disorderly Conduct, Disturbing the Peace, Domestic Violence, Drug Cultivation, Drug Manufacturing, Drug Trafficking, Drug Distribution, Drug Possession, Embezzlement, Extortion, Forgery, Fraud, Harassment, Hate Crime, Homicide, Indecent Exposure, Identity Theft, Insurance Fraud, Kidnapping, Larceny, Manslaughter, Medical Marijuana, Money Laundering, Murder, Open Container, Perjury, Probation Violation, Prostitution, Public Intoxication, RICO (racketeering), Rape, Robbery, Securities Fraud, Sexual Assault, Shoplifting, Solicitation, Stalking, Statutory Rape, Tax Evasion, Tax Fraud, Telemarketing Fraud, Theft, Underage Possession, Vandalism, White Collar Crime, and Wire Fraud;
or any of the following traffic
Assured Clear Distance, Child Restraint Violation, Driving in Marked Lanes, Driving without a License, Driving with a Suspended License, Driving without Registration, Driving with Expired Registration, Driving Under Suspension (DUS), Drunk Driving-DUI-OVI-DWI, Failure to Control, Failure to Yield, Illegal U-Turn, Leaving the Scene of an Accident (Hit-Skip or Hit and Run), Mechanical Violations (Equipment Violations), Reckless Driving (Reckless Operation), Running a Red Light, Running a Stop Sign, Seat Belt Violation, Speeding, Unlawful Vehicle Modifications, and Wrongful Entrustment.